- Litigation and Mediation/ Arbitration
Chet attended the University of South Dakota where he obtained an undergraduate degree in Business & Law from the Business School and a law degree from the Law School.
While in Law School he was appointed an editor of the South Dakota Law Review, he authored two articles which were selected for and published in the Law Review and he was elected president of the Student Bar Association.
Upon graduation Chet joined the Aberdeen (SD) law firm of Campbell, Voas & Richardson. He practiced with that firm, and its successors as a partner, for over 40 years. His practice was primarily litigation, both for plaintiffs and defendants, in state and federal courts.
Chet formed Settlement Solutions, a mediation/arbitration practice, putting to good use his abilities and skills in evaluation and negotiation. He twice attended classes and workshops in mediation provided by Pepperdine University and Vermont College of Law. He also received formal mediation training from the American Bar Association.
In 2003 Chet established a law office in Sioux Falls where he continued his litigation and mediation/ arbitration practices.
For 20 years Chet was Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He also had conferred upon him the rank of Advocate by The American Board of Trial Advocates. Other awards included Judge of the Year Award, 2013-2014, from the University of South Dakota School of Law.
Chet has also been active in civic affairs. For example, he served on the Aberdeen Board of Education, including as Board Chairman, and on the board of the Brown County United Way, with a term as president. In June, 2021, Chet was awarded the South Dakota State Bar President's award "by volunteering in community activities and legal representation of those who cannot afford a lawyer, and having done so with distinction and honor."
- University of South Dakota School of Law, Vermillion, South Dakota
- Honors: Elected President of the Student Bar Association
- Law Review: South Dakota Law Review, Editor
- University of South Dakota
- Major: Business & Law
- South Dakota, 1960
- U.S. District Court District of South Dakota, 1960
- Advocate by The American Board of Trial Advocates
- Judge of the Year Award, University of South Dakota School of Law
- South Dakota State Bar President’s Award
- Aberdeen Board of Education, Board Chairman
- Board of the Brown County United Way
- Brown County United Way, President
- Campbell, Voas & Richardson
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy
Current Employment Position
- Of Counsel