Honest. Smart. Committed.

Dealing with a slip-and-fall accident 

On Behalf of | Feb 25, 2022 | Personal Injury

When thinking about different types of accidents that can cause serious injuries, car accidents and incidents in other dangerous circumstances might come to mind. Strolling along the sidewalk, or walking down to your local grocery store may not strike you as being especially dangerous. 

For the most part, the latter activities are not dangerous, but they can be. Falls account for hundreds of deaths and injuries every year in South Dakota. While there is not always someone at fault for a person falling over, negligence can be a contributory factor. If the owner of a property has failed to maintain their premises so that it is safe for public use, they could be liable for any accidents. 

Slip-and-fall accidents can be traumatic and they also frequently lead to severe injuries. If you have been involved in this type of incident, what can you do about it? 

Your health comes first

The first thing you want to do is seek the appropriate medical attention. If you have sprained an ankle, torn your knee ligaments or fractured a bone, then you are going to need medical care. If you have suffered a more serious injury, like a spinal cord injury or head trauma, then your treatment might be more extensive. 

Seeking fair compensation comes next

Once you have acquired the appropriate medical care, you may then want to start thinking about your legal options. Treatment for your injuries can run you thousands. You may also have to take considerable time off of work, which means no regular paycheck. By documenting the course of treatment that your doctor has prescribed, you have evidence, which might help you should you choose to pursue compensation for your injuries. 

Slip-and-fall accidents are no laughing matter and the owners of the premises have a responsibility to protect you from them. If you have fallen and sustained injuries, be sure to check out your legal rights. You may be entitled to more than you realize.